AT LAST, we know just how much the military means to the Townsville economy - more than $1b.
- That's according to a James Cook University economics lecturer Dr Riccardo Welters.
- At the moment, Defence is worth $300m in wages every year, locally produced goods and services to the tune of $150m and goods and services produced elsewhere but supplied locally worth $65m.
- Indirectly Defence is responsible for another $656m annually in the Townsville economy.
- And that's BEFORE 3RAR moves to Townsville at the end of next year.
- When 3RAR arrives, it will mean another $490m in direct spending and an incredible injection of $643m in indirect spending.